GateHouse Media’s Center for News & Design
The biggest, the best. That is what the Center for News & Design is striving to be.
So what is a place like this, you may ask yourself. Well, that's a good question. GateHouse Media is a publication company that owns over 600 publications across the country. Our Center for News & Design, which is a part of GateHouse, designs for about 245 weekly and daily publications. We the biggest (in terms of publications that are designed here , staffing [more than 200 designers], and pages per week [11,000]) and we're quickly becoming the best.
The Dallas Morning News thinks so: we are going to be starting to design their publications this spring!
We've only been around since 2014 so it's a bit much to boast. But we do have some things to brag about for our people:
- Promotions, career advancement
- Pay for referrals
- Creative environment
- Leadership training and development
- Monthly team building activities and social events
- Ping pong
- Food trucks
Bottom line is this: if you're interested in visual storytelling, strong journalism and page design, this is a great place to begin your career.
Wanna be a part of this? Got what it takes? Check and see:
- Use page-design software and centralized front-end system to lay out a steady stream of pages from beginning to end
- Offer and execute creative solutions to content presentation
- Provide a final read of all copy submitted for a variety of publications produced by the desks
- Publish final stories to appropriate websites, following GateHouse Media’s content strategy
- Work with local editors across the country to continually improve our publications
The designer/copy editor must:
- Have a dual skill set in both newspaper design and copy editing
- Be a true multi-tasker able to handle curveballs on hard deadlines
- Be a true team player, able to interact proactively and productively with dozens of colleagues while helping to build team morale
- Be able to generate and implement creative ideas swiftly
- Have proven line-editing skills and be versed in AP style
- Have experience with layout software, preferably Adobe InDesign
- Have experience with digital publishing